Mittwoch, 18. März 2009

Am I a Knitter? Or a knitter?

Tini lent me one of the books of Yarn Harlot, I suppose it's the first book of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. There is one story where she says how to recognize a true Knitter by giving them one of your knitted pieces.

The person will either admire the garment, look at the pattern and the fabric. That's the knitter. Or he/ she will look at the garment inside and out to admire the finishing, how the shoulder seams are grafted and how ends are woven in. That's the Knitter (a truly dedicated knitter).

That reminded me of a story I experienced with my grandmother shorty after I started sewing. I made a knee length Skirt of corduroy with a box pleat in the front. I really took my time to make this skirt. I made a lapped zipper in the center back, used Hongkong Finishing on my seams and handsew the hem. I was really really proud of my skirt. My masterpiece then.
Then I showed my skirt to my grandmother (never a Sewer, not even a sewer, she only sewed as a young woman when absolutely necessary).
My granny made me put on the skirt. Then she went around me to see if the hem was straight (it was). She stroke down every seam to see if it puckered and if the grain was perfect or wether I accidentally cut one piece of corduroy the wrong way. (I did not). Then she turned the skirt inside out to see if the seams were finished neatly. And so on and so on. It went for about 10 Minutes.

Afterwards she said: "It's nice."

Okay, we're from Westfalia. I now, at home "It's nice." is high praise! But I was really flabbergasted. I wasn't able to wear the skirt for weeks. I hated it. I was always on the lookout for the mistake she found that made the skirt only "nice".

I never ever turn the handicraft of a person, be it sewn, knitted or crocheted, inside out to "admire" the finishing because of this experience, unless I'm asked to.

Does this deter me from being a Knitter?

(I must admit, I didn't think of this episode for years, although I never showed my grandmother anything made by me again. The story brought it back vividly. Strange ideed.)

Keine Kommentare: